Circular instrument dividing engine made by Edward Troughton, London, England in 1793 and described by him in 1809. It was later modified by William Simms, his business partner after 1826, with the additional of a self-acting mechanism, the details of which Simms published in 1843. The engine has a 34-inch cast brass dividing plate with 2,160 teeth and a worm with 20 threads to the inch, all mounted on a wooden tripod base.
- Industrial Metrology
- Object Number:
- circular dividing engine
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- dividing engine
- Cooke, Troughton and Simms Limited
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.