Etching of an electrically powered garden
Etching entitled ‘A MACHINE for a Perpetual Electrified GARDEN’. The print shows an imagined scene in which a small group of men and women in Georgian dress are inspecting an electrified garden inside a large greenhouse. The garden consists of numerous potted plants which sit in a rectangular stand raised slightly off the ground. The stand is connected at the right-hand side to an apparatus which uses hydraulic power to generate electricity for stimulating plant growth. The various components of the apparatus and the garden are lettered for identification from a key (not in the Science Museum Group's collections). Etcher unknown. Published in Benjamin Martin’s General Magazine (London, 1755).