East Radcliffe anaesthetic machine, circa 1958
Equipment for anaesthesia was supplied on this one compact trolley. The East Radcliffe anaesthetic machine was suitable for ward and theatre use. It regulates the appropriate mixture of gases which is then supplied to the patient via either face mask or bag attachment. It is mains operated. However, the ventilator can be battery powered during a power failure. It can also be powered in an emergency by manually rotating a handle.
The machine was made by East and Company Limited and this example was used at Ipswich Hospital, Suffolk, until the early 1980s. It was then donated to the Science Museum.