Seismoscope made by Fratelli Brassart, Rome, Italy, 1884
This seismoscope featured a ball-and-rod arrangement which indicates the direction of horizontal shock waves, and a spring which stretched with vertical vibration into a cup of mercury. Either action started the clock and rang the bell, alerting that an earthquake had struck.
The Italian firm Fratelli Brassart supplied nearly 150 of their seismic warning devices (‘avvisatore sismici’) to observatories, state departments and exhibitions.
For more information, see:
Ferrari, G. ed. 1992. Two hundred years of seismic instruments in Italy 1731–1940. Bologna: Storia- Geofisica-Ambiente.
Fratelli Brassart. 1886. Catalogo descrittivo degli strumenti sismici costruiti dai fratelli Brassart costruttori meccanici dell'Ufficio centrale di meteorologia, Roma. [Leaflet]. Rome: Tipografia della Pace di Filippo Cuggiani.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.