Electromagnetic (e/m) cathode ray tube, by Sir Joseph John Thomson, Cambridge, England, 1896. Part of the J.J. Thomson's original e/m cathode ray tube apparatus, for measuring the velocity of the cathode rays and the ratio of the mass of the carriers to the charge carried by them.
Apparatus for measuring the velocity of the cathode rays and the ratio of the mass of the carriers to the charge carried by them. (J.J. Thomson's original e/m cathode ray tube.)
This is one of the original cathode ray tubes used by Thomson in a series of experiments that led to the discovery of the electron in 1897. Other investigators had observed strange rays emitted from cathodes (negatively charged plates) inside glass vacuum tubes; Thomson's experiments showed that the rays were streams of particles. The electron's discovery was the beginning of an explosion in the understanding of atomic structure, and indirectly led to the electronics revolution of the 20th century.
- Nuclear Physics
- Object Number:
- component - object
- lamp - light bulb
- electric lamp - lighting device component
- Loan from Sir Joseph John Thomson, Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.