Glass ampoules, 1 of 6, containing freeze-dried B.C.G. vaccine for intradermal injection, for hydration with sodium chloride to provide ten doses, provided by UNICEF and manufactured by Evans Medical Ltd, Langhurst, Horsham, England, c. 1980-1985
The BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guérin) vaccine is used to protect from tuberculosis. The vaccine was developed by French bacteriologists Albert Calmette (1863-1933) and Camille Guérin (1872-1961) at the Pasteur Institute, Lille, France, in 1921. The vaccine was successfully used in France but did not go into widespread use until after the Second World War.
By freeze-drying the vaccines, the treatment can safely be transported over long distances and diluted when needed. Made by Evans Medical Ltd, the large glass bottle gives ten doses of the vaccine when diluted. It is shown here with a ten-dose bottle of the vaccine (1994-135 Pt5).