Stamp - [Caterham?] and District Gasight and Coke Company

Made:
1830-1900
maker:
Unknown
Seal and stamp - Newhaven Gas and Coke Company. Part of a collection of fifteen seals and thirteen stamps manufactured Seal and stamp - Newhaven Gas and Coke Company. Part of a collection of fifteen seals and thirteen stamps manufactured Seal - [..]terham and District Gasight and Coke Co Ltd (worn)

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Seal and stamp - Newhaven Gas and Coke Company. Part of a collection of fifteen seals and thirteen stamps manufactured
Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Seal and stamp - Newhaven Gas and Coke Company. Part of a collection of fifteen seals and thirteen stamps manufactured
Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Seal - [..]terham and District Gasight and Coke Co Ltd (worn)
Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Musuem

Stamp - [Caterham?] and District Gasight and Coke Co Ltd (worn). Part of a collection of fifteen seals and thirteen stamps manufactured by gas companies that operated in the South East of England in the nineteenth century (from the counties of Kent, West Sussex, East Sussex and Surrey).

These seals and stamps would allow the gas companies to mark items as officially checked and tested or as belonging to the company.

Monuments to the Victorian and early-twentieth century gas industry in Britain are disappearing from our urban landscapes. Gas holders, once a familiar sight, described by the BBC as “sentinels of the industrial age,” are being dismantled to make way for property development. These small objects serve as a physical reminder of an industrial landscape that is vanishing.

Details

Category:
Gas Industry
Object Number:
2019-122
type:
stamp
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
credit:
SEGAS Museum, Old Kent Road