Piece of brass wire

Made:
1790-1819
maker:
Watt, James

1 Piece of brass wire, turned at tends, with two rings on

This item is part of the contents of the workshop that Scottish engineer James Watt developed at his home, Heathfield, at Handsworth, Birmingham, from c.1795 through to his death in 1819. Although Watt is best known for his work on the steam engine, his workshop contains a wide variety of objects from many different projects, from chemistry to sculpture-copying.

The description of the item was written by Edward Collins, the land agent responsible for Heathfield when the workshop was given to the Science Museum in 1924. Collins could not always identify what he was looking at, but always described what he saw clearly. This has allowed his descriptions to form the basis of subsequent research.

This is a piece of brass wire fashioned into a joint for an unknown purpose. The central, straight section has been necked down in two places to receive small loops of thinner wire bent on, each having one end formed as a small straight tang. The ends of the larger wire are bent up sharply at right-angles.

Details

Category:
James Watt's Garret Workshop
Object Number:
1924-792/319
type:
wire
credit:
Major J.M. Gibson-Watt