Cream ceramic jar labelled "Logwood"

Made:
1790-1819 in United Kingdom
maker:
James Watt
Group of objects from Watt Workshop. White ceramic jar with leather lid, labelled   "Smyrna Lizari"  (1924-792/1479), Group of objects from Watt Workshop. White ceramic jar with leather lid, labelled   "Smyrna Lizari"  (1924-792/1479), Group of objects from Watt Workshop. White ceramic jar with leather lid, labelled   "Smyrna Lizari"  (1924-792/1479), Group of objects from Watt Workshop.  Jar of  "Shumach"  (1924-792/1481), rear centre; Cream ceramic jar labelled

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Group of objects from Watt Workshop. White ceramic jar with leather lid, labelled "Smyrna Lizari" (1924-792/1479),
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Group of objects from Watt Workshop. White ceramic jar with leather lid, labelled "Smyrna Lizari" (1924-792/1479),
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Group of objects from Watt Workshop. White ceramic jar with leather lid, labelled "Smyrna Lizari" (1924-792/1479),
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Group of objects from Watt Workshop. Jar of "Shumach" (1924-792/1481), rear centre; Cream ceramic jar labelled
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Cream ceramic jar labelled “Logwood”, containing paper scraps, unsigned, United Kingsdom, 1790-1819.

This item is part of the contents of the workshop that Scottish engineer James Watt developed at his home, Heathfield, at Handsworth, Birmingham. Although Watt is best known for his work on the steam engine, his workshop contains a wide variety of objects from many different projects, from chemistry to sculpture-copying.

The description of the item was written by Edward Collins, the land agent responsible for Heathfield when the workshop was given to the Science Museum in 1924. Collins could not always identify what he was looking at, but always described what he saw clearly. This has allowed his descriptions to form the basis of subsequent research.

In 1780, Watt patented a letter-copying press, the first practical ‘office machine’. It was so popular that its sales kept Boulton & Watt in profit for several years, but its success required practical chemical experiments. This substance was used in the special copying ink.

Details

Category:
James Watt's Garret Workshop
Object Number:
1924-792/1490
Materials:
ceramic and paper
type:
jar
credit:
Major J.M. Gibson-Watt