BBC Broadcasting House Studio Slave Clocks
Four studio slave clocks installed at BBC Broadcasting House made by Gents of Leicester.
These clocks provided standardised and accurate time across the entire broadcasting operation.
Slave clocks are controlled from a central master clock via an electrical signal. The clocks were installed in every studio and central apparatus room (CAR) to ensure transmissions were timed to the last second. The units house cue lights, the most common configuration had three: green for rehearsal, red for transmission and white for telephone.
The BBC first installed a Synchronome master clock system at their base at Savoy Hill in 1923. This system was moved to Broadcasting House in 1932. These four clocks are likely from the replacement system c.1947 and were powered by a Gent Pul-Syn-Etic observatory master clock.
- Object Number:
overall (four clocks): 280 mm x 410 mm x 380 mm, 24 kg
- furnishing and equipment
- measuring device - instrument
- The BBC Collection