Hot-air engine made by Sir W. H. Bailey & Co. Ltd, Salford, c. 1880. Horizontal pistons with crankshaft overhead, flywheel a one side. Water circulating pump, rocking levels for hot and displacement pistons. Large cast iron closed cylinders at the back which was built into the fire box. Brick fire box with cast iron doors and chimney. Fuel for heating could be anything that could burn. Centrifugal governor with ball weights to control speed. This engine was originally purchased by Lt. Col. Sir William Starkey of Norwood Park, Southwell, Nottinghamshire in 1880, and was later returned in about 1965 to W. H. Bailey & Co. Ltd.
- Motive Power
- Object Number:
- hot air engine
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- Gift of Sir W. H. Bailey & Co. Ltd
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.