Silicone Solar Cell

Made:
c. 1963

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Ferranti silicon solar cell sample designed by Alan Bardsley c.1963 intended for use on sea buoys

This object gives an insight into the early microcircuit and solar power industry in the UK.

Engineers and scientists at Ferranti were instrumental in the development of microchip and solar cell technology.

By the 1960s people began exploring ways of exploiting sunlight to provide electrical power in remote locations. Sea buoys that use electric lamps are a great example of a device located far from a mains power supply that requires a reliable electricity supply.

Alan Bardsley was an engineer in the Semiconductor Division at Ferranti between 1956 and 1968. In 1969 he became Government liaison and contract negotiator of the Ferranti Semiconductor Division, where he worked until 1974 negotiating Government contracts for these new technologies. He contributed significantly to the development of microchip and solar cell technology at Ferranti.

Details

Category:
Electricity Supply
Object Number:
2015-2008
Measurements:
161 mm x 35 mm x 50 mm,
type:
solar cell
credit:
Gift of Alan Bardsley