Early eighteenth century gold pair-cased watch, by Simon Decharmes. Both gold cases are pierced and engraved, the outer engraved with the monogram ‘EB’ and a ducal coronet. Gold champleve dial, with central plaque signed 'Ducharmes, London'. Steel tulip shaped hands. Verge escapement movement with half-quarter repeating work. Movement signed ‘S. Decharmes London’.
Decharmes became a free Clockmaker in 1691. This watch was presented to the Clockmakers' Company by the clockmaker Benjamin Lewis Vulliamy in 1849. Clockmakers' Museum No. 78.