Month-going longcase clock with a 1¼ seconds pendulum

Made:
1675-1685 in London
A month-going longcase clock by unknown maker, London, c.1680 A month-going longcase clock by unknown maker, London, c.1680

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

A month-going longcase clock by unknown maker, London, c.1680
Science Museum Group / The Clockmakers' Museum
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum, London

A month-going longcase clock by unknown maker, London, c.1680
Science Museum Group / The Clockmakers' Museum
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum, London

A month-going longcase clock by unknown maker, London, c.1680. Oak case veneered with olive-wood and ebony marquetry, with ebonised pear-wood mouldings and pillars. The trunk has a full length door; an additional door with glass lenticle in the base allows regulation of the 1¼ seconds pendulum. The 10-inch square brass dial has a skeletonised chapter-ring over a matted surface, a subsidiary seconds dial, winding holes with maintaining power shutters, a calendar aperture, and cherub spandrels in each corner. Pierced and blued hands. The movement has an anchor escapement which beats 1¼ seconds, bolt-and-shutter maintaining power, latched plates, and a striking train with the count wheel on the outside of the movement.

Clockmakers' Museum No. 1263

Details

Category:
Clockmakers
Collection:
The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers
Object Number:
L2015-4173
Materials:
oak (wood), olive (wood), ebony, brass (copper, zinc alloy), silvered brass, gilt brass, steel (metal), lead (metal) and pear (wood)
Measurements:
overall: 2040 mm x 410 mm x 220 mm,
type:
longcase clock and anchor escapement
credit:
Lent by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers