George III half-penny coin, 1799, from the fourth floor of Decker Mill at Murrays' Mills in Ancoats, found during the archaeological survey of the site.
This coin is likely to have been deliberately concealed during the original construction of building at Murrays' Mills in Ancoats, East Manchester, to bring luck or prosperity, following a long-standing folklore tradition.
Murrays’ Mills is one of the oldest surviving steam-powered cotton spinning mill complexes. First established in Ancoats in 1797 by scottish brothers George and Adam Murray, it became, along with neighbouring McConnel and Kennedy mills, one of the largest industrial complexes of its time, reflecting Ancoats’ development into the first industrial suburb.
- Textile Industry
- Object Number:
- half-penny coin
- Gift of Manchester Life Development Company Limited
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.