London and India Docks Joint Committee
The London and India Docks Joint Committee was formed to manage the docks of both the London and St Katharine Dock Company and the East and West India Docks Company. This had proven to be necessary due to the intense competition between the two companies and the financial difficulty the later had found itself in, going into receivership in 1888. Under the term of the agreement, which came into effect on 1st January 1889, the joint committee would be responsible for the operation and works of the East India, West India, London, St Katharine, Royal Victoria, Royal Albert, Blackwall and Tilbury docks whilst the two companies continued to manage their finances and raise capital for new works.
During the 1890s the Joint Committee entered into agreements with both the Millwall Dock Company and the Surry Commercial Dock Company to cooperate on rates and to designated individual docks to different types of cargo, which reinforced the existing specialisations. This relaxation of the previously fierce competition allowed improvement works to be carried out at many of the docks.
Although the Joint Committee had been considered a step on the way to a full amalgamation of the two companies this was not agree to until late 1898 and did not come into effect until 1st January 1901. This resulted in the acquisition of the East and West India Docks Company by the London and St Katharine Dock Company to form the London and India Dock Company.