Surrey Institution 1808 - 1823

industry:
Literary organisation,
Musical organisation,
Scientific organisation
based:
Blackfriars, City of London, London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom

presented scientific lectures and literary and musical programmes in the Rotunda Building on the south side of the Thames, in Blackfriars Road, Southwark (then in Surrey). The Rotunda was renovated and opened on 1 May 1808 to include a lecture hall accommodating 500 people, a galleried library, committee rooms, a lending library, a reading room, chemical laboratory and contemporary philosophical apparatus.