Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Limited

Nationality:
Scottish; British

1834 - Fairfield works originated as Randolph, Elliot and Co. 1870 - firm became John Elder & Co. 1878 - Sir William Pearce became sole proprieter of the firm. 1885 - formed into a private company as Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited. 1889 - on the death of Sir William Pearce, the firm was transferred to a public company trading under the same name. 1890 - launch of the mail steamer, Dunottar Castle. 1895 - launch of the mail steamer Arundel Castle. 1896 - launch of the mail steamer Tintagel Castle. 1897 - a large fire destroyed main buildings. 1898 - following industrial action by engineers, the firm ordered a lock-out of union members. 1905 - half the ordinary shares in company, purchased by Cammell Laird & Co Limited. 1907 - contracted to build two mail steamers for the Egyptian Mail Steamship Company Limited. 1911 - manufactures the largest Intergrated Horsepower (100,200 IHP) of any shipyard in the world. 1919 - extensions and improvements for the shipyard proposed. 1920 - launch of the Canadian liner, Montrose. 1923 - a slump in trade temporarily ceases operations. 1924 - purchase of the Chepstow shipyard, South Wales, from the Monmouth Shipbuilding Company. 1932 - torpedo-bioat destroyer, Dainty, launched. 1934 - a restrictive covenant against shipbuilding placed on the west yard of the firm by the National Shipbuilder Security. 1935 - HMS Garland launched. 1936 - an 'improvement in profit' declared. 1937 - a big increase in profits reported. 1951 - escaping gas results in a fatality at the shipyard. 1955 - Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip visit the shipyard. 1962 - a visit by the King of Norway. 1963 - P&O contract for a bulk-carrier. 1965 - The company filed for bankruptcy, leaving ships under construction, including two P&O ships which were completed by governmwent intervention. 1966 - Company re-organised under Government guarantee and re-named as Fairfields.