Cleator & Workington Junction Railway 1876 - 1922

Cumbria, England, United Kingdom

The Cleator and Workington Junction Railway, was authorised by an act of parliament on the 26 June, 1876. The company operated 15.25 miles of track from Cleator to Workington, in West Cumberland. Although the company survived until group,in 1923, they never operated their own train services. This task was undertaken by Furness Railway, who began operating goods and passenger trains on the line in 1879. In 1923 the line passed into the hand of London Midland & Scottish Railway company.