1918 - Richard Hornsby and Sons and Ruston, Proctor and Co merged to form Ruston and Hornsby. 1931 - was a major producer of small and medium diesel engines for land and marine applications. 1936 - built last steam engine. 1940 - merged with Davey, Paxman and Co of Colchester. 1963 - closed its Grantham factory. 1967 - became part of the General Electric Company. 2000 - taken over by MAN B and W Diesel AG.