Craven Brothers Limited 1853 - 1967

Tool manufacturers
born in:
Salford, Salford, Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Craven Brothers was formed in 1853, at Dawson Croft Mill, Salford by brothers Greenwood and William Craven. Their primary function was to make machinary tools for locomotives but they soon branched out into other machinary areas particularly armaments.

In 1900, the company moved to a 25 acre-site in Reddish, near Stockport, called the Vauxhall Works. By the early twentieth century they had become best known for their cranes, but also made planing machines, radial drills and slotting machines.

During the World Wars, the company came under governmenal control and after the depression of the First World War the company managed to stay open because of its good export business particularly with Russia. In 1928, Craven Brothers merged with Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth & Co. Ltd, Joshua Buckton & Co. Ltd and Thomas Shanks & Co. Ltd however the factories of these comapnies closed and all moved to the Reddish factory of the Craven brothers.

In 1961 the Denton branch works were sold. In 1967 the company was bought by Staveley Industries Ltd and the Reddish factory closed in 1970.