1859 - Alexander Clavel, a silk dyer, began manufacturing fuchsine, a synthetic dye
1873 - Clavel sold his business to Bindschedler & Busch (partnership)
1884 - the company became Gesellschaft für Chemische Industrie Basel (“Society of Chemical Industry in Basel”) a limited-liability company.
1945 - name changed to Ciba AG
- Ciba-Geigy originated in the merger of two smaller Swiss firms, Ciba AG and J.R. Geigy SA