Cadbury Brothers Limited 1847
- Birmingham, Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
John Cadbury opened his first shop in 1824, in Birmingham, where he sold tea coffee and drinking chocolate. By 1831 the business had changed from a grocery shop and John Cadbury had become a manufacturer of drinking chocolate and cocoa. Around 1847, John took his brother Benjamin into partnership and the family business became Cadbury Brothers of Birmingham. During the 1850s the business took a downturn and the first Cadbury Brothers partnership was dissolved in 1860. However, by 1861 John's son's had joined the company and the second Cadbury Brothers began to run the business. 1899 - business become a limited company. After remaining an essentially family run business for 100 years, in 1962 the whole structure was reorganised with the formation of a public quoted company - Cadbury Limited. In 1969 the Cadbury Group merged with Schweppes, which led to the creation of Cadbury Schweppes.