Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway 1839 - 1844

Railway company
Birmingham and Derby

The B&DJR opened on 12 August 1839 with a line into Hampton, where the trains would then reverse for Birmingham. There were six stations in addition to Hampton and Derby, these were: Coleshill (later renamed Maxstoke), Kingsbury, Tamworth, Walton,Burton and Willington. In 1842 a new line was opened with a new terminus at Lawley Street. This proceeded to Whitacre via Castle Bromwich, Water Orton and Forge Mills (later remamed Coleshill). In 1844, the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway, the Midland Counties and the North Midland Railway merged to form the new Midland Railway.