Railway carriage, Stockton & Darlington Railway, composite No 59, 1847, built by Tweed dale & Barton, Carlisle, at a cost of £245. It remained in service until 1872.
This carriage is typical of mid-nineteenth century coaches, comprising accommodation for both First and Third Class passengers. This is why it is referred to as a "composite" carriage. Its shape and style is reminiscent of road stagecoaches of the same era - there is even space for a person to sit on the roof to operate the footbrake should the need arise.