Levis 2.25 h.p. two stroke motor cycle, 1916
Levis 2.25 h.p. Popular two stroke motor cycle, 1916
This small Levis was first introduced by Butterfields Ltd of Birmingham in 1911. It soon proved to be a popular lightweight machine, simple to maintain and economical in use.
While the road performance and steering was mediocre, the simplicity of this motorcycle’s two-stroke engine and direct belt drive resulted in a standard of reliability which, at this early stage in design, enhanced the practical value of the motorcycle as a utilitarian means of personal transport.
The small vertical two-stroke engine rated at 3 h.p., has a capacity of 211 c.c. A Fellows magneto is driven by an enclosed chain from the crankshaft. Power is transmitted directly to the rear wheel by a Pedley ‘Vee’ belt. The machine weights approximately 120 lbs.