Items of Western Electric Rotary automatic exchange, 1920-1940

Made:
1920-1940 in Antwerp

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Items of Western Electric No 7-A machine switching system (rotary automatic telephone exchange) made by Bell Telephone Manufacturing Company SA, Antwerp, 1920-1940. Including line finders, group selectors, sequence switches, motor and drive assembly. Previously installed at Newland telephone exchange, Hull, decommissioned 1 June 1975.

Items of Western Electric No 7-A machine switching system (rotary automatic telephone exchange) made by Bell Telephone Manufacturing Company SA, Antwerp, 1920-1940. Including line finders, group selectors, sequence switches, motor and drive assembly. Previously installed at Newland telephone exchange, Hull, decommissioned 1 June 1975.

In the early 1900s, six British towns and cities established municipal telephone services. Five of these proved to be commercial failures, and were bought out by the National Telephone Company or the Post Office. The sixth, in Kingston upon Hull, prospered. Being independent of the Post Office, Hull was free to choose Western Electric rotary for its automation programme, from 1922, rather than Strowger. This switching equipment was used at the Newland Exchange in Hull until 1975. Hull remains the only UK city not to be served by BT. Instead telephone services are provided by the KCOM Group.

Details

Category:
Telecommunications
Object Number:
1975-516
Measurements:
large section: 360 mm x 655 mm x 1550 mm,
small section: 300 mm x 330 mm x 1645 mm,
type:
telephone exchange
taxonomy:
  • component - object
credit:
Donated by the City of Kingston upon Hull (Telephone Department)