Part of Rugby transatlantic telephone transmitter, made by Standard Telephones and Cables, New Southgate, England, 1927
Part of Rugby transatlantic telephone transmitter, made by Standard Telephones and Cables, probably Woolwich, London, England, 1927-1956.
The telephone service between Britain and the USA began in January 1927 using radio transmitters and receivers working in the longwave band. This is the only surviving part of the transmitter installed at Rugby Radio Station. It was designed by Standard Telephones and Cables Ltd in Britain and made pioneering use of the single-sideband system, which required less power and made more economical use of the waveband. It remained in use until about 1956.
- Radio Communication
- Object Number:
- ceramic (unspecified), glass, metal (unknown), plastic (unidentified), rubber (unidentified), textile and wood (unidentified)
overall: 1755 mm x 765 mm 765 mm, 200 kg
- telephone system
- object grouping and system
- systems - plan
- communication system - mechanical and electrical systems
- Donated by BT Heritage and Archives