Receiving ‘jigger’ or oscillation transformer, single layer primary and secondary coils (split), used by the Marconi Company, probably made by Marconi's Wireless Telegraphy Company, Chelmsford, Essex, England, 1898.
The 'jigger' was Marconi's name for a particular type of radio-frequency transformer. In the transmitter, the spark-gap discharged a capacitor of high value (and hence high-energy storage) through the primary of the transformer, forming a closed circuit capable of sustained oscillation; the aerial was connected to the secondary. In the receiver, the transformer enabled the aerial to deliver a higher voltage to the high-impedance load provided by the coherer. When introduced in 1899 transmission distances of over 60 miles were soon being achieved. The jigger was one of Marconi's major contributions to the development of wireless telegraphy. Much of the research work was carried out by a Marconi research team working under R N Vyvyan, who later recorded that many different designs were tried.
- Radio Communication
- Object Number:
- component - object
- Donated by the Institution of Electrical Engineers
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.