Six-column beam engine, made by Peel, Williams & Peel, Manchester, in 1846 and originally used at Thomas Redfern's file-making factory in Stockport. A small beam engine, complete in itself and built as a free standing unit. Sometimes known as a 'wet bottom' engine due to its condenser tank at the base. Also described as a tank bed engine, with 12" x 20" slide valve cylinder.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.