Silver pair cased watch by Ignatius Huggeford, with an outer case of tortoiseshell studded with silver. The dial has a rotating day-of-month rim, heart-shaped hour plaques and a steel arrow hand. The movement has a verge escapement, four-wheel train, worm-and-wheel set-up with silver regulator disc and a blued-steel balance cock with large ruby/glass 'endstone'. Signed 'Ignatius Huggeford Londini'. Made c.1675.
This watch was bought by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1704 from the watchmaker Thomas Magson for £2-10s, and used (apparently fraudulently) as evidence to defeat Facio di Duillier’s extension for a patent for jewelling watches. The original owner, Mr. William Seale was paid ten shillings to give evidence. Ignatius Huggeford was conveniently dead.
Clockmakers' Museum No. 45
- The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers
- Object Number:
- brass (copper, zinc alloy), glass, silver (alloy), steel (metal), textile and tortoiseshell
overall: 57 mm x 53 mm x 34 mm,
watch: 54 mm x 47 mm x 27 mm,
outer case: 53 mm x 53 mm x 28 mm,
- Lent by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers