Gold pair cased clock-watch by Daniel De St. Leu, London, 1797. Gold outer case pierced and engraved with a trophy of arms and 5 crescents, gold inner case pierced and engraved.
Hallmarked for 1797 and stamped with the casemakers mark IW. White enamel dial signed 'De St. Leu, London'. Gold hands with looped stems. Movement with verge escapement, ruby endstone. and hour striking on a bell, with a strike/silent lever. Engraved backplate signed 'Danl. De St. Leu. Watch Maker her Majesty London 3861'. Also with short double chain and cast and engraved key. This watch formed part of the collection of Sir David Salomons Bt, and was presented by Salomons to the museum of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1921.
Sir David Salomons owned an extensive collection of watches, including many notable pieces by the French horologist Abraham Louis Breguet. In October 1921 Salomans became a Freeman and Liveryman of the Clockmakers' Company, the same year that his publication on Breguet came out. Upon his election, he presented this watch to the Company's museum. In 1765 De St. Leu was appointed watchmaker to Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III. De St. Leu's watches are often elaborately embellished, suitable for a Queen's tastes. Clockmakers' Museum No. 249