Kolster Brandes Limited 1924 - 1965

industry:
Manufacturer of radio receivers,
Manufacturer of televisions
Nationality:
British; American
based:
Sidcup

American-owned British television and radio manufacturer; descended from Brandes of Toronto (established 1908) which became part of American AT & T in 1922, with British branch Brandes Ltd established at Slough in 1924, producing radio accessories such as loudspeakers and headphones; moved to larger premises at Foots Cray in Kent in 1928; 1930 company renamed Kolster-Brandes as a result of merger of American parent company with Kolster Radio Corporation; in 1930 company supplied 40,000 of its Masterpiece two-valve, bakelite cabinet radios to the Godfrey Phillips tobacco company, who gave them away to customers in exchange for cigarette coupons; in 1938 Kolster Brandes was reorganised under the ownership of ITT's British subsidiary STC (Standard Telephones & Cables); because of the link with STC, KB won the contract to install TV receivers in the Queen Mary and subsequently in other Cunard liners; as a result, most of their television receivers were given model names to reflect this and much was made in their advertising of the link with Cunard; from 1960 onwards KB acquired the brand names Ace, RGD, Argosy and Regentone; manufactured television receivers under the RGD brand into the 1960s