Grave marker, grave '239'
Grave '239'. One of four numbered iron crosses used to mark the graves of patients buried in the hospital grounds
Simple iron crosses like this one were used to mark the graves of patients buried in the hospital grounds of St Audry’s Hospital in Melton, Suffolk, England. Opened in 1765, the hospital was originally a workhouse for the poor until it became the Suffolk County Lunatic Asylum in 1827. From 1917, the hospital was also known as St Audry's Hospital for Mental Diseases. Patients who may have spent the major part of their life and died in the institution were marked in the Hospital cemetery, not with their name but with a number.
The hospital shut down in the early 1990s, as did the Asylum Museum attached to it. The hospital grounds were redeveloped as a golf course, during which the grave markers were removed.
- Psychology, Psychiatry & Anthropometry
- Object Number:
- grave marker
- East Suffolk Health Authority
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.