Test tubes with original hand-written labels containing the first chemicals isolated from the human brain, prepared by J. L. W. Thudichum, St Thomas's Hospital, London, 1865-71. Choline platinochloride; lecithin cadmium chloride; phrenosine; kerasine; in perspex display case
These test tubes were prepared by J L W Thudichum at St Thomas’s Hospital, London, between 1865 and 1871. They contain the first chemicals to be isolated from the human brain and as such are icons of the earliest history of biochemistry. J L W Thudichum made a significant contribution to neurochemistry and the Biochemical Society awards a Thudichum Medal to those who have made outstanding contributions to neurochemistry and related subjects.
- Object Number:
- test tube
- furnishing and equipment
- container - receptacle
- Guy's, King's and St Thomas' School of Biomedical Sciences
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.