Silver pair cased watch by Thomas Taylor, with an outer leather case studded with silver. The inner case is engraved with the Lord Protector's crown and 16-58. Around this is engraved 'OLIVAR' 'TO JOHN MILTON'
The gilt brass dial has a matted centre, a silvered chapter ring and a further silvered ring with the days of the month engraved around it. A steel pointer is attached to a gilt ring which rotates every 31 days, thereby indicating the day of the month. The time is indicated with a very short steel hand with tail of nearly equal length. The fusee movement has a three-wheel train, worm-and-wheel set-up regulator, with replaced wheel and verge escapement. The movement pillars are of an unusual design. Signed on the movement 'Thomas Taylor Holburne' London 1658. Formed part of the collection of the Reverend Henry Nelthropp, later donated by Nelthropp to the museum of Worshipful Company of Clockmakers.
Taylor was admitted to the Clockmakers’ Company in 1646 and became Master in 1670. He died in 1695.
Clockmakers Museum No. 34