Heslop's winding and pumping engine, 1795. The winding and pumping engine was erected about 1795 by Adam Heslop at Kells Pit, Whitehaven, where it worked for many years; subsequently used at other pits (Castlerigg Pit?; 1837, Wreah Pit, Whingill?). The arrangement is a combination of a single acting high-pressure cylinder with a Newcomen cylinder; patented by Heslop in 1790, although it would appear to have been an infringement of Watt's patent for the separate condenser which remained in force till 1800. Made at the Lowca Foundry/Engineering Works c. 1790.